Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year! Or is it? Aladdin is in danger...really!

First off Happy New Year!

I hope everyone reading is doing well and had a blast welcoming it in.

I ended up keeping it pretty low key. Erin and I ended up going to Lisa and Alex's place and hung out with them and another couple. We watched (I fell asleep) Wanted after the ball dropped. The highlight was drinking Absinthe for the first time. At first, I was like, "This isn't bad." Then after a few very small sips, I had a hard time finishing the stuff. Not a big fan of licorice or anything that tastes like it. I did not see any green monsters and by the end of the night, I couldn't tell if I was buzzed from that or the many glasses of Champagne.

Actually come to think of it, the Absinthe wasn't the highlight, the best moment had to be our short walk back to our apartment and me a little buzzed spotting a white form in the distance. I had a feeling it was a couch and I made Erin come with me to check it out. We got close and I saw it was a nice love seat leather couch that was in GREAT shape and would go great in our place. Erin was not in the mood to carry it back and I had to work hard to get her to change her clothes and come back with me to grab it at 3am LOL It was freezing and the couch was a little wet from the moisture in the air, but we got it all the way up and now it sits nicely in our place!

Thursday, I was able to pick up a shift at Apple and I totally forgot about time and a half which will be nice!

Friday, I ended up getting called in to work which was definitely needed. I also hung out with Hilary Swank at Apple.

Saturday, I worked and then took Erin to some Salsa Lessons over at Monsoons. It was such a great time. I really was picking up fast and loving it. We are brushing up on our moves for our trip to either Barcelona or Buenos Aires...obviously we'll have to modify some moves depending on where we end up. But it will fit in nicely with my Spanish Lessons...who knows maybe this year I'll end up on one of those Spanish Soaps my Grandma watches lol

I couldn't be more excited to head back to Disney on Sunday and had the last two shows as Aladdin. It was so nice to see everyone and it felt like I had been gone a while! I had great shows and a couple of fun spots during that made for some laughs.

Monday I was back at Disney for the day and then it was off to visit our puppy at our trainers house. I haven't seen him in like two weeks and I was so excited. I felt bad because Erin couldn't join me, but took some pictures to hold her off. It was bittersweet. I was so happy to see him and to see that he remembered and was excited to see me, but I hated leaving him again. Hope he is well. Only another week or so.

Today ended up being QUITE a day! It started off with me needing to get some stuff settled with my security deposit refund. My old apartment complex took too long to get me my check and I'm going to need to fight to get my full refund now because of the 21 day law in California. I also needed to call up Jury Duty Service number to figure out if my registration was complete due to getting cut off by shitty cell service...I got no where with either but was distracted a bit by some unsettling news on the Disney - Aladdin front.

At About 11:15am I received a text from a friend notifying me that there was a company meeting after the last show of the day - also there was a rumor floating around that the show would go from 5 days a week to 3! This would suck for me, because I was figuring that if that were to happen that the remaining days would be Fri, Sat and Sun and I would lose my Monday shift. I called up the Union Rep to ask what would happen if this little rumor turned out to be true and he said that I would have get my guaranteed hours, but that a clause in my contract could give them the ability to release me! SHIT!

At about 2:30pm I heard from my friend that there was a new rumor circulating that the park may be closing Mondays and Tuesdays which would still affect me the same way listed above. The last contract, the show was dark on Mondays and Tuesdays so I was wondering if they would go back to that schedule.

At about 4:30pm I heard that the show was going to go down to 4 days a week, it was pretty much confirmed, but they still were waiting to have the meeting.

At about 6:00pm I received a call from the casting department, officially notifying me that the show was indeed going down to 4 days and before I could ask about my guaranteed hours, it was communicated that there would be a new contract set up and it would begin in two weeks with those who were going to be offered their roles in the show...........

now, it's a complicated, shitty situation for everyone involved. There are many possibilities that I could think of concerning my position with this company, but after a while...I just had to force myself to let it go. My ego started to get the better of me and my insecurities started to creep in and feed my imagination, but when it comes down to it - life will happen and I'll be fine.

I started this blog when my journey began with Aladdin and I always wrote about the great times I had and how I have been busting my ass. It has taught me a lot about life and more importantly about myself. About 4 weeks ago I thought back to my callback and how I decided to dress in a vest and my baggy linen pants and I said to hell with what people would think. I laugh at it now, but at the time, I was going for broke because I figured that my callback could have been the last time I got to sing those songs for an audience...it worked out for me though. Well, hearing about how certain things were closing at the park, I thought back to my callback and told myself that I was going to treat every time on stage as if it were going to be my last, because I wasn't sure what the next day would bring. I gave it my all during the auditions all the way through rehearsals and I kept that fire going through my performances. I blogged about my experience with the show when I was sick and while I could have possibly called out, I fought through because I knew I could. I wanted that challenge and while I paid in full after, I conquered and wouldn't throw in the towel. I won't now. I take comfort in knowing I gave everything...everything for the moment that is...I grow everyday and look forward to finding new ways to change, challenge myself, challenge others and be creative with the show and grow within it and hopefully have it grow as a result. I hope I have the chance to continue on and I want to be a part of this show that is no doubt changing my life each day I take the stage. I want to continue to have a place at the Happiest Place on Earth. I want to come in each week and see the smiling faces and crazy people that I have grown close to. I hate the thought of having that taken away from me so soon, especially when I haven't had the chance to prank everyone (in fact they have gotten me a couple of times). I am pissed that I may not have a chance to have my family and friends see me in something that I am REALLY proud of...a living dream...

At least I can say:
I didn't phone anything in and tell myself that I would just fix it next time - If it wasn't working at the time, I changed it in the moment. I didn't hold back and fall into the trap of being a performer ONLY under lights, I worked hard every step of the way and challenged myself, accepted challenges from others and worked hard towards taking it to new levels. I know that no matter what I hear in my phone call tomorrow, I will be excited and looking forward to my next new challenge! I have calmed down to the point where I am happy and can go to sleep knowing that because I gave it my all - I will have no regrets of an adventure short lived.

One day at a time...

Shortly after hearing all of this today, I got called in for a great audition in the morning...

TiLL NeXt TiMe...


No comments:

Post a Comment